Saturday, November 16, 2013

Champion (Legend #3) - Marie Lu

Review: Champion
Series: Legend (#3)
Author: Marie Lu
Rating: ★★★★
Genre: Dystopia

Hell. Wow. That is how you end a series. I'm an utter mess. But it was so worth it. 

So basically, there was never a dull moment. After Prodigy, I was already half done but after reading Champion, I was dead. The plot had so much. War, politics, romance, disease, air raids, bombs, making love (oh yes), etc. It continued Prodigy with the story of June as she struggles to be Anden's Princeps-Elect and advise him to best run the country; and of course Day, who has to come to terms with his illness and what he believes he can give the Republic. 

I mean just wow. I always loved June and Day, but after this I realized how much they meant to me. June was so strong and brave, the steady one with a glossy outer covering, but filled with internal turmoil. And Day. Oh god, Day. Constantly giving and helping. Arrogant and cocky on the outside, but so unsure on the inside. Just no. The characters were flawed and perfect. Their story a thousand times more so.

The setting was incredible too - the ruined Republic of America, the Colonies, and most of all the little glimpse we get of the world outside North America. The way the world has progressed is so interesting, and very vivid. Dystopia is often made up of a post-apocalyptic world churned out of a blender. But with Legend I felt like there was a lot of thought that was put into building the world. Even the propaganda was interesting. it was the little details like the names of the slum sectors that really built the story.

I don't really know what to say, other than this book is a bundle of action and emotion. Everything about this book made me think of how the clock is always ticking, and how if we're not careful we can lose so much time. It made me think about what was important, and how easily we can lose those things. It was really flawless, but it hurt so much too. The dual-POV is frustrating and wonderful, and I just wanted to take each of the characters I loved and take them away someplace safe. It was action packed, full of politics and intrigue, jammed with emotions being frayed at every possible moment, and wrapped the series with an exquisitely painful, gorgeous ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment